Elastic Skirt Tutorial

I wanted to make a simple skirt for my daughter. Something that I knew would take only minutes. And with the requisite ruffle be in touch with her inner princess. It only takes two rectangles (based on her measurements), a double length for the black ruffle, and elastic. Easy peasy!
I cut two pieces of fabric about 22" X 12". I also cut two black ruffles WOF (width of fabric X 4.5"). Sew the sides of the skirt right sides together. (Tutorial for french seams on the way)


Sew the sides of the ruffle to make an extra large circle. Fold in half wrong sides together, press and gather. Pin to the outside of the skirt making sure to match the seams. Flip down and then topstitch.
For the waistband, fold 1/4" down then another 1". This forms the casing. Sew close to the edge and leave about 1.5" open. Insert elastic, sew the ends together and sew closed! (Sorry, I thought I had a photo of this step).

French fried tomatoes! Scandalously easy skirt. This is so easy you have plenty of time to embellish it with applique or fabric flowers, etc. You even have time to do the laundry but who wants to do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment